It has come to my attention that it is not just my mother who does not know who Taylor is, which leads me to believe there are other characters who come up in these books whom you may not recognize! And those of you just joining us may have never even seen some of these characters mentioned before! So for today’s bonus post, I bring you a guide-so-far to who is who in the Fifty Shades world. Which means it’s Fifty Shades of Grey and the beginning of Fifty Shades Darker.
*Apologies, I do not know everyone’s full name, nor do I really care.
- Anastasia Steele – The leading lady. An English major, and fan of British classics, Ana considers herself a misfit even though we have had no evidence to support this claim. She is brunette and can orgasm on command if Christian is the one giving the commands. Ana currently works at a publishing company called SIP and works for a guy (and potential sexual harasser) named Jack.Ana loves Christian and orange juice. She thinks both are divine.—“I glance at the bedside table. On it is a glass of orange juice and two tablets … The orange juice tastes divine. It’s thirst-quenching and refreshing.”
- Christian Grey – The male lead. He’s really controlling and kind of a stalker, but he is super sexy and rich, so all is forgiven by Ana. Christian was abused as a child, which is actually really sad. Sometimes he mentions his crack-whore mother, but he’d really rather not discuss the past. Christian likes BDSM, and he takes on the dominant role. His past “relationships” are all with Submissives (like Leila), except for his relationship with Elena (she was the dominant). He was adopted by Carrick and Grace when he was younger.
—“So inquisitive, so eager for information, Miss Steele,” he scolds playfully
“Oh, Mr. When Is Your Period Due?”
“Anastasia–a man needs to know these things.”
- Katherine Kavanagh- Ana’s best friend. Without her, we never would have gotten to see Ana and Christian get together and fall in love! In the first book, Kate got sick, so she sent Ana to conduct an interview with Christian in Kate’s place. Kate is sassy, but in a really stupid way. She hasn’t been in Fifty Shades Darker yet because she is still off travelling with her new boo Elliot.
—“That’ll be the sexing! If that’s going well, then that’s half the battle, Ana. I’ll grab some Chinese takeout.”
- Elliot Grey – Speaking of Elliot, he is not only Kate’s new boyfriend, but also Christian’s brother (they are both adopted)! He’s into PDA, which is gross! He’s okay. Seems nicer than Christian. He is also responsible for this bullshit:—“Laters, baby.”
- Jose Rodriguez –
Jacob.Ana’s other best friend who is in love with her. He tries to express his love by being rapey when he’s drunk. It’s gross. He is also a photographer. Also, he says “Dios mio, Ana” way to much!—“Dios mio, Ana!”
- Mia Grey – Christian’s sister. She speaks French! And likes to hug Ana!
—“Where did you meet, Ana?” Mia asks him. (Please don’t mind Mia’s poor speech grammar. It’s not her fault she was written that way.)
- Taylor – Christan’s personal assistant. I don’t really know how else to describe him. He has a seven year old daughter. Taylor appears to be fond of Ana. He also has a military background.
- Mrs. Jones – Christian’s house cleaner? She cleans stuff. We have yet to know her feelings about Christian’s Red Room of Pain/Playroom.
- Elena (AKA Mrs. Robinson (or The Evil Cougar, as I like to call her) – Dated Christian when he was fifteen. Their relationship continued for many years. Christian was Elena’s sub. They are still friends and business partners.
- Jack Hyde – Boss and potential sexual harasser to Ana at SIP.
- Ethan Kavanagh – Kate’s brother.
- Carla Wilks (Or, as I call her, Cliche Queen) – Ana’s mother. Speaks in only cliches. Has been married four times and believes this qualifies her to give successful love advice.—“Follow your heart, darling, and please, please–try not to overthink things. Relax and enjoy yourself. You are so young. sweetheart. You have so much of life to experience yet, just let it happen. You deserve the best of everything.”
- Leila – Christian’s psycho ex. She currently has a concealed weapons permit even though she “opened a vein” in front of Mrs. Jones and was hospitalized. Christian fears for himself and Ana.
- Ray – I think he was Carla’s second husband Ana considers him to be her father. Her real dad died forever ago, so Ray was the guy who raised her. Ana lived with him while her mom was with Husband Number Three Whose Name I Forget.
- Bob – Carla’s current husband. Number four. He plays golf.
- Dr. Flynn – Christian’s therapist. Ana makes a lot of jokes referring to Dr. Flynn when Christian is being particularly weird.
- Grace Trevelyn Grey – Christian’s adoptive mother.
- Carrick Grey – Christian’s adoptive father.
- Franco – Gay hairstylist who works at Christian and Elena’s salon.—“See! I tell you he like it,” Franco enthuses.
“You look lovely, Ana,” Christian says appreciatively.
“My work ‘ere is done,” Franco exclaims.
- The Crack-whore – Christian’s mother. She was a prostitute.
Okay, I think we’re good for now! I’ll update this page if I think of any more, or any noteworthy characters are introduced.
Other Things/Places You Should Know
- Seattle – The book takes place here. Seattle is amazing, don’t let this book ruin it for you!
- Grey Enterprises – Christian’s company.
- Wanda (the Beetle) – Ana’s old car that Christian made her get rid of because it wasn’t safe enough.
- The Audi- Ana’s new car, which Christian gave her.
- SIP – The publishing company Ana works at.
- Claytons – Hardware store where Ana used to work in college.
- Georgia – Carla lives here.
- Red Room of Pain/Playroom – Christian fucks here.
- Charlie Tango – Christian’s helicopter. Also, he gave a balloon version of it to Ana.